Thursday, May 04, 2023

On This Day in Family History - May 4

 Elizabeth Angeline Wylie Burns was born 04 May 1847

She married Rev. Jesse Burton Burns 23 May 1865, in Jefferson, Alabama

Photo: Elizabeth and Jesse Burns

Jesse Burton Burns was a brother to my great-great-grandmother Malisa Evaline Burns Hicks
Photo: John Henry and Malisa Burns Hicks

Jesse and Elizabeth Burns had nine children - Nancy, Mary, John, Marion, Jennie, Josephine, Lucy, Surena, and Dovie
Jesse Burns served in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War, Alabama Infantry

Elizabeth Angeline Wylie Burns died 30 January 1924, age 76
Rev. Jesse Burton Burns died 14 September 1926, age 83

They are buried in the Friendship Primitive Baptist Church cemetery, Ashridge, Winston County, Alabama

*   *   *

Our Hicks family lineage has not been traced back beyond my great-great-grandfather John Henry Hicks. From there, we have traced his wife's family -- the Burns family -- back to Alexander Abner Burns, Sr., who was a Revolutionary War soldier. It was through Alexander Burns that my mother qualified for membership in the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Through her, I also became a DAR member. I don't really care much about being a member, but it was important to Mom, so I am maintaining my membership (and hers, now, even though she is no longer aware of it because of dementia) for the time being.

Alexander Abner Burns, Sr. was the great-grandfather of Jesse Burns and my great-great-grandmother Malisa Burns Hicks. (That makes him my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.