Monday, September 27, 2021

September 27

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO...

Charlotte Viola Sandefur Solomon 1906-2000


Viola Sandefur Solomon was my grandmother's 'favorite cousin'. Here's what Cleffie wrote about her:

My Cousin Viola
 
 There were several times while we lived on the Bolding place that my cousin, Viola came by to visit with us for a few days, usually not more than two, but I always wished she would stay longer. I was only a small child, somewhere in the range of three to five, and she was a teenager. I thought she was the most wonderful person I had seen around that part of the country. I loved to hear her talk. She was so mature for her age. And she used expressions that I wasn’t used to hearing; for instance she would say “Cousin Cleffie”, or “Cousin Ruby”, etc. Also, I was just fascinated when I watched her combing her hair. This one time that I remember most she back-combed it down around the ears and then put a small “rat” in under the hair and arranged the hair over it and made a nice puff over each ear, then brought the rest of it together in the back and pinned it. I’m sure that was the fashion then. I thought that was so neat. Anyway, I just grew to love her and she has always been one of my very favorite cousins. At this writing she still lives in Somerville, Tennessee and is age 81. 
 (Today is October 10, 1987. The day I wrote this.)

Viola was the daughter of Nancy Ellen Hicks and George Woodson Sandefur. She had a sister named Ida Mae (called 'Mae') who married Ceilco Weatherford. I haven't been able to find out any further information about Mae. She died in 1961 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Floral, Arkansas. I don't know where her husband is buried.
Photo: George Woodson Sandefur and Nancy Ellen Hicks Sandefur and grandchildren.

Nancy Ellen Hicks (called 'Nannie') was the sister of my great-grandfather Ulysses Hicks.

Viola married William Ralph Solomon 18 September 1928, and they had one child, a daughter named Nora Ellen. William died in 1930 and Viola never remarried.

Nora Ellen Solomon married William Elmer Wright and they had six children: Billy Lee 1948-1968 (died in Vietnam), Bobby, Dennis Wayne 1951-1954 (accidental death), Nancy Ellen, Deborah, and Rodney Earl (1960-2002 (heart attack). Bobby, Nancy, and Deborah are still living, and I recently contacted Nancy and exchanged some family photos and information with her. Nancy was named after her great grandmother Nancy Ellen Hicks Sandefur.

Photo: Bill and Nora Wright, Billy, Bobby, and Nancy


Here are some other pictures I have of Viola Sandefur Solomon:
Viola Solomon and grandson Billy Lee Wright, Ruby and Jack Barnett

Viola with grandson Rodney Wright, 1966.

Ruby Barnett, Viola Solomon, Irene Barnett, Cleffie Burford 1976

Viola Solomon with great-granddaughters (daughters of Nancy Ellen Wright) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.