Sunday, July 28, 2024

July 28

Irene Hicks married Golden 'Doc' Barnett 28 July 1934


Doc and Irene had four children, all girls -- Velma Lee, June, Betty, and Bobbie). Actually, when I was a child I clearly remember them all being called by both names, Southern-style: Velma Lee, Melba June, Betty Ruth, and Bobbie Rene (her real name was Barbara Irene).



I believe this picture was taken on their 40th anniversary. And I believe the house in the background is their house in Campbell, Missouri.

Irene's sister Ruby married Doc's brother Arvil ('Jack') Barnett
PHOTO L-R: Jack and Ruby, Irene and Doc

Ruby, Irene, and Cleffie (my grandmother) were the first three of nine children of my great-grandparents Ulysses and Annie Hicks. Six were girls and three were boys.
PHOTO: Annie and Ulys on their 50th anniversary, 1960, with all their children. Back L-R: Ruby, Cleffie, Irene, Lowell, Elvin, Olan, Vernell, Evalee, Bernice.

* * *
In 1960 I was five years old, and this is how they all look in my childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.