Friday, March 24, 2023

On This Day in Family History - March 24

 Thelma Erlene Burford was born 24 March 1924


Erlene was the daughter of George and Willie Mae Burford. 
George was the older brother of my grandfather Lester Burford.
Photo: Willie Mae and George Burford

Photo: Erlene (right) and her sister Mildred

Erlene married Arnold Slocum 13 September 1941
Photo: Arnold and Erlene
This is cropped from a larger group photo -
In this picture George is holding Erlene's son Larry. That would date this picture to about 1942 (Larry was born in June of that year.)

They had two children - Larry and Linda
I don't have a picture of Linda Slocum by herself, but I think she is in a group photo from 1956 --
I'm not entirely certain who all the kids are in this picture, but I'm pretty sure the tallest boy is Larry Slocum, and I'm kinda pretty sure the girl in the blue shirt is his sister Linda. This picture was taken in Watervliet, Michigan, in 1956. Since George and Willie Mae are in the group, I'm assuming they brought their grandchildren Larry and Linda with them on the trip. Neil and Mildred brought their daughter Donnie. Lester and Cleffie lived in Watervliet -- this picture was taken in their front yard -- and Wathada and Ronnie were their children. (Wathada was actually grown and married at this time, even though she still looks like a kid in this picture.) Deb and Florence were in this batch of pictures, too, but not in this particular photo. George and Neil and Deb are brothers of Lester, and I guess they all came to Michigan to visit him at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.