Thursday, December 02, 2021

Cardboard fireplace

 


Remember cardboard fireplaces? I have labeled this picture 1964, but the more I think about it, it was probably 1963. We moved from Bangor school district (house out in the country by Van Auken Lake) to Hartford school district in the middle of the school year -- either just before or just after Christmas. I only have pictures of one Xmas in the Van Auken Lake house, and that would have been 1962. This cardboard fireplace is in the dining room of the house we moved into on county road 687 ("Drake's place" my dad called it -- we rented the house from Curtis Drake). We lived in that house for 3 1/2 years, and we had a dining room table and chairs right in the spot where this cardboard fireplace is standing. So I'm thinking we had just moved into the house when this picture was taken and we didn't have the table and chairs yet.

This is the same spot where the cardboard fireplace was in the other photo. L-R: Me, mom, dad, Ron and Maxine. I don't know who the person out of frame on the left might be, nor who took the picture. My dad did the two paintings hanging on the wall -- the covered bridge and the portrait of me. He and mom were taking art classes at the time from Mrs. Disbrow (the art teacher at Hartford High School).

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.