Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Another Mystery Solved

 Remember this picture?

Someone wrote on the back of this picture "Bett and Sarah, sisters of Adaline Carter Arnold"

This has been a mystery because although Adaline had sisters named Elizabeth and Sarah, the women in this picture couldn't possibly be them. (I think I posted this picture on Facebook one time and had quite a discussion with some of my folks about whether or not they could be who they are supposed to be.) 

Well, I'm just now getting around to looking through 3 big boxes of source materials my parents used when they were researching their family histories. And today I ran across a little note that said "Bett & Sarah -- (Bett Anderson). Is it really Bett?"

Wait, what? Anderson? I know who that is!! The wife of our Civil War soldier, John Anderson!
And, oh yeah, I only recently found his WIFE. And guess what her name was...
Elizabeth Evans Anderson.
When I found her on FindAGrave, I also found pictures of her.
The picture on the left is Elizabeth with her daughter Rosetta. 

Question -- Was Elizabeth Evans Anderson a sister of Adaline Carter Arnold? No. But she WAS a sister of Adaline's MOTHER, Jane Evans Carter. Here's a composite showing Elizabeth Evans Anderson side by side with "Bett and Sarah"...What do you think? 

And then I went to my Carter family history/genealogy records, and you'll never guess what I found there...
Elizabeth Evans Anderson and her half-sister Jane Evans Carter had the same mother. And guess what their mother's name was...

SARAH !!!

Okay, now look at the picture again
These are not Adaline's sisters. The woman on the left (Bett) is Adaline's MOTHER's sister. And the woman on the right is HER mother -- Sarah Bishop Evans.
So...
Sarah is my great-great-great-great-grandmother.
Top row - my mother Wathada, her mother Cleffie, her mother Annie
Bottom row - Annie's mother Adaline, her mother Jane, and her mother Sarah.

P.S. The little girl in the picture could be Bett's daughter Rosetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.