MILITARY SERVICE
PHOTO: National Guard, Richard on the left
In 1952 I enlisted in the Michigan National Guard. I had to attend meetings for training every Monday night, and two weeks in the summer, usually at Camp Grayling, in Michigan, but one time we went to Fort Knox, Ky. I rose to the rank of Sargent first class SFC and was a Tank Commander. The weekly meetings were at the National Guard Armory building in South Haven, Michigan. When I first enlisted we had the Sherman M-4 and M5 Tanks but the last two years we had the M-50 med. tanks. I had three enlistments for a total of 8 years, 1952 –1960.
I can't resist posting one of my favorite pictures of me and my sweet daddy. This was my 2nd birthday, November 10, 1956. Dad was just home from National Guard camp.



.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment
You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.