Friday, October 17, 2025

Uncle Ron and Uncle Pen

Uncle Ron and Uncle Pen


My uncle Ron was just 10 years older than me. He and my mom were very close, so he spent a lot of time at our house when I was a little girl. Uncle Ron could turn anything into a fun time. 

Everybody in my family sang a lot, but there are a couple of songs I especially associate with Uncle Ron. One of them is Uncle Pen. It’s a bluegrass song which I think was written and recorded by Bill Monroe. The only person I ever heard sing it in my childhood was Uncle Ron. I would sing harmony with him. “Late in the evenin’ about sundown, high on a hill and above the town, Uncle Pen played the fiddle, Lordy how it would ring! You could hear it talk, you could hear it sing.” (Hear is pronounced “hyear”) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeZPAQRl7TA&list=RDMeZPAQRl7TA&start_radio=1

The other song Uncle Ron sang was Peel Me a Nanner. “Peel me a ‘nanner, toss me a peanut, I’ll come swinging from a coconut tree. Peel me a ‘nanner, toss me a peanut… You sure made a monkey out of me!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IwGK7Jk73E&list=RD4IwGK7Jk73E&start_radio=1


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.