Wednesday, October 15, 2025

Puppy Love

 Puppy Love

In the first half of my fourth grade year in Bangor, there was a boy in my class who was hopelessly in love with me, for some reason. I wasn’t very nice to him, as I recall, but nothing would deter him. On the last school day before Christmas holidays, the teacher announced that my family was going to be moving to Hartford during the break and I wouldn’t be back in class the second half of the year. Poor Carl cried all day. 

I don’t think I tried to keep in touch with him at all after we moved to Hartford. But I do have his senior school portrait – don’t remember if he sent it to me in the mail or what. In the summer after we graduated high school, Carl asked me out for a date. I went with him to a restaurant for dinner, and I’ll be darned if he didn’t up and propose to me !! Bless his heart. 

Well, I was going out of state to college, so that gave me an excuse for turning him down. Actually, I had even broken up with my steady boyfriend for that reason. I didn’t want to try to maintain a long-distance relationship, and I didn’t plan to ever move back to Michigan. 

Believe it or not, I got another proposal that summer – from the boy who had been my steady boyfriend in junior high school. My mom liked him, and she would have liked for me to marry him instead of going to college. (Sometimes I wonder if she didn’t ask him to propose to me, for that very reason.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.