Wednesday, September 10, 2025

Two Doll Christmas

Two Doll Christmas

The year was 1960. The baby boomers were enjoying the blessings of world peace and a robust economy, unlike the generations before us. We were living in a bubble of time -- the very best time to be a child in this country. Television was just coming into its own, along with TV commercials. I love watching old TV commercials. They were SO different from the frenetic pace and cacophony of modern advertising. That year (1960) there were two dolls competing for attention from two different toy companies. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWzkwsgVXQ

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhAyxbtKh48

Now you know I got a doll every Christmas, right? Well, what happened was...

My parents had already bought a Patty Play Pal for me. She was a "life size" doll who could stand on her own. She was hiding in a closet waiting for Santa's arrival. And then the competition hit the airwaves -- in the form of Chatty Cathy. She was the first talking doll. Well, of course I just HAD to have one!!! And I just KNEW Santa would bring me one, because I had been such a good girl all year...

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to hear the conversations that took place between my parents as Christmas season approached. But the result was:

PHOTO: Unboxing Patty Play Pal.

PHOTO: And, oh look!! Patty has a new little sister!

PHOTO: Me with my TWO new Christmas dolls.
(And a mink stole to boot!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.