In August of 1988 I went to visit my parents in California. While I was there we drove their camper up to the Sequoias and King's Canyon national parks. That sequoia forest is a magical place! We also watched the Persaids meteor shower from King's Canyon. We saw over 200 shooting stars.
In the 18 years that my folks lived in California, I made several trips to see them. (They bought me a plane ticket every other year or so.) We took in all the tourist sites -- Catalina Island, the L.A. Arboretum, LaBrea Tar Pits, Lion Country Safari, Roy Rogers Museum, Hearst Castle, Watts Towers, Santa Barbara, Solvang, Sea World San Diego... I can't even remember them all.
And on every one of those trips my mother gave me a bunch of stuff and also let me raid her closet for whatever clothes or purses I wanted. Both of my brothers also lived in California at one time or another, so I got to see them and their children. My grandparents usually spent part of the winter at my parents' house (they lived in Arkansas), so sometimes I got to see them, too. In 1985 my brother John got married in late September and my grandparents had their 50th wedding anniversary in early October, and I was there for both of those celebrations. One time while I was in California my mom took me to her hairdresser to get a spiral perm -- I was still trying to get Shirley Temple hair.
No comments:
Post a Comment
You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.