Saturday, June 15, 2024

June 15

William I Cartee was born 15 June 1876

This is the only picture I have of Will Cartee.
He was the husband of Ellen Carter (standing in front of him, bending over slightly)
Here is another picture of Ellen 

Here is what I know about Will Cartee, from the memoirs of my great-grandmother Annie Arnold Hicks. (She is on the far left in the group picture.)

  Ellen married Will Cartee the first time, and raised four children.  One of them was married when Will took up with a woman and left Aunt Ellen and of course, he soon wanted to come back but she wouldn’t have him back.  And she struggled and worked and raised her three children (one of her children had died), and did a fine job of it.  They are all married now and have nice families.  And she married a man that treats her right.  His name is Charlie Haigwood.  Her oldest girl died at about 25 years with T.B., I believe.  Her name was Maud.  Maud was married before her parents separated.  She had two sisters and one brother - Lillie, Ralph and Dorothy. 

Ellen Carter was the youngest sister of my great-grandmother Adaline Carter Arnold (Annie's mother).

Here is a description of the Carter family, with pictures that I have of the people mentioned.
PHOTO: Ned Jonas Carter and Jane Evans Carter. 

Here is what Annie wrote about them:
My Grandmother’s name was Jane Evans before marriage. She married a man by the name of Evans.  They had two children, Elizabeth and Joe...  After a few years her first husband died and she soon married a man by the name of Carter and he soon died.  No children were born to them.  Then she married again, a man by the name of Ned Jonas Carter.  This man had three children, Margaret, Mary, and Wesley so that made them five children to start with.  Then they had several children.  I will try to call their names.  Sarah, Parlie, Adaline (my mother), John, Beckie, Tilda, George and Ellen.  

 
PHOTOS: Elizabeth Evans, Joe Evans (children of Jane Evans and her first husband)

PHOTOS: Margaret and Mary Carter
I don't have a picture of Wesley Carter. 
(Wes and Mary Carter married siblings Rebecca and Luke Dunn)

PHOTOS: Sarah and John Carter

PHOTO: sisters Adaline, Ellen, and Paralee ("Parlie") Carter

PHOTO: Tilda Carter with her husband Tom Cartee
(Tilda and Ellen married brothers Tom and Will Cartee.)

PHOTO: George Carter

I don't have a picture of Beckie Carter. She died at age 25 from tuberculosis. She married John Lingo. I don't have a picture of him, either.

Here is a picture of my great-grandmother Annie Arnold Hicks, from whom these family history excerpts were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.