Monday, July 06, 2026

LaNorma Burford

 
LaNorma holding Wathada

ROLL DEVELOPED -- 2 HEAVY 
VELVET ENLARGEMENTS, 8 
GUARANTEED PRINTS ON 
VELOX PAPER ONLY 25c.
SEP 11 1937
PHOTO FRIEND FILM CO.
LITCHFIELD, ILLINOIS


LaNorma Burford was the daughter of Adelbert ("Deb") and Florence Burford. 
Deb was an older brother of my grandfather Lester Burford.

I have a few other pictures of LaNorma



I never met LaNorma, but I'm under the impression that she was a very interesting person.For one thing, in researching official documents I discovered that LaNorma was married four times. And she seems to have changed her first name, too. According to the Social Security Administration she registered for Social Security cards under the following names -- 
Lanorma Flo Burford - Feb 1945
Lanarma F Casper - May 1947
Lanorma Flo Purvis - Jun 1949
Lee Flo Purvis - Apr 1953
Lee Flo Olson - Nov 1953
Lanorma McAfee - Mar 1973
Lee Flo McAfee - Feb 1977

As far as I can tell, LaNorma never had any children.

* * *

Here is what other family members have written about LaNorma:

Note from Bob Burford: LaNorma became a big band vocalist and travelled the circuit all over. She had a strong, spectacular voice. Bud was an exceptionally gifted jazz accordion player a la Art Van Damme.

Note from Morris Burford: LaNorma had a voice that could project to fill any arena--no microphone needed, and with no loss of quality.

Wathada's notes: I haven't even seen LaNorma for about 500 years and she could have got old during that time and maybe lost some of her off-the-wallness but I seriously doubt it.  She's the one who joined up with her equally crazy brother (Bud) to drown their mother in the bathtub one time.  They had the bathtub full of water, and they had ahold of Florence and were heading for the bathroom with her when somebody came in the front door and caught them.  Florence wasn't as big as a minute and couldn't help herself a bit....

LaNorma died in 1987, age 57

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.