Saturday, September 05, 2026

Richard Thomas Memories

SUMMER AT THE SADDLE CAMP

When I was about 12 or 13 years old I worked one summer at Mr. Henry Meachum’s stable at Paw Paw lake across from the Pleasant View  bar and grill.  I lived in a one room building with only a small bed and a wash basin, and an outside toilet. I ate my meals at nearby restaurants and took my bath in Paw Paw lake.  I got to go home one night a week to get clean clothes and other things.  

One day a lady and her daughter came for her daughter to ride. She was around 5 or 6 years old. I put her on one of our ponies named Queenie and took her across the road to a field that had a circle that the horses would walk around. I started Queenie going around and went back to the stable to do other things. Then I heard the mother screaming so I ran out to see what was wrong. The mother was pointing across the road, and I saw that Queenie had laid down and the little girl was just sitting there waiting for something to happen. I went over and made Queenie get up and started her going around again.  Again I went back to the stable and started doing other things, and soon I heard the mother yelling for me. Sure enough, Queenie had laid down again. This time she got up before I got to her. I started her going around again but this time I stayed until time was up for the ride. All this time the little girl thought this was just great, and only the mother was upset. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.