Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Who is this little girl?


"South Haven August 10
Dear Sister received your card that you said you received from me. I didn't write you one but was going to because Audie has his vacation next week we go to Kalamazoo then we are coming back to your house will let you know when we will come. My little girl has been sick but she better now [?]. With love to you all Alice [Audrey?]"

* * *
Honestly, I don't know who this little girl is, nor who wrote the note on the back of the picture. I think the signature says Alice. And the note mentions Audie (I think), who was the son of Alice Ford Miller. If Audie was old enough to have a vacation, though, he would not have had a sister young enough to be the one in this picture. His youngest sister would have been Dora, who was just 6 years younger than himself. The signature has what appears to be another name after Alice -- looks like Audrey. But the only Audrey in the family -- Alice's granddaughter -- never married, so would not have had a little girl... 

Oh, wait! Alice's daughter Dora had a daughter named Audrey. Dora died when Audrey was 2 years old. So it's entirely possible that Alice raised Audrey. So maybe the little girl in the picture is Alice's granddaughter.

PHOTO: Alice Miller and granddaughter Audrey

PHOTO: In this picture, Alice Miller is back row right. Audrey is front row 2nd from right (dark hair, hand on her cheek). I wonder if she is the baby in the picture on the postcard above.

(The rest of the children in the picture are Alice's grandchildren.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.