Monday, November 29, 2021

'Tis the season

 How 'bout we look at some family pictures of the Christmas season for a while? I have a VHS tape that my dad put together from 8mm home movies through the years. If you've ever seen National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, the part where Clark is locked in the attic while the family goes shopping, you'll know exactly what our home movies looked like. I wish I could post Dad's video here!

Photo: Annie Hicks, Christmas 1965, at Lester and Cleffie's house, Watervliet, Michigan

I have a bunch of pictures that were taken on this occasion. Someone has written 1967 on the backs of most of them, but I have wracked my brain trying to figure out if that's the correct year or not. I think it was 1965. Maybe Les or Bob Burford can give me a definitive answer...

If it's 1965, it would have been the first Christmas after Papa (Ulys) Hicks passed away. Grandma (Annie) came to live with Lester and Cleffie in a little apartment they had built on to their house for that specific purpose. 
This picture was taken in 1992. The house looks pretty much the same, except the porch is a little different than it was in the 1960s. The little apartment is still attached. (In the 1960s there was not a huge green house next door -- there was an empty lot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.