Saturday, October 10, 2026

Christie's Diary


* * *

7-9 Effie went to WKZO to the throat specialist for her throat, to see if she needs an operation 

[I forgot to mention this in yesterday's post -- Grandma always wrote WKZO for the word Kalamazoo. I don't know if she just didn't know how to spell it, or maybe she just thought it was an abbreviation. (People do sometimes shorten it to "K'zoo") 

WKZO was a local TV channel based in Kalamazoo.]

* * *

7-9-64 Bill started tarring* down building up to Graft Young's 7-8-64 

(* I assume she meant 'tearing')

* * *

I don't know why Grandpa was tearing down a building, but it was probably to salvage the lumber and building materials. He built their house from the ground up -- the one they lived in while I was growing up, a few miles south of Bangor. I guess that's where my dad got his love for woodworking. He never built a whole house, but he did build some cupboards and things like that in the houses where we lived.

PHOTO: Red, Ricky, Dianne
This is the house Mom & Dad bought in Bangor in 1956. We lived there for 6 years. The room divider that we're standing in front of was built by Dad, to separate the living room from the dining room. 


This picture was taken in the living room, looking toward the dining room and the kitchen.

This picture was taken in the dining room, looking toward the living room. The bottom part of the room divider had doors that opened on this side and shelves inside which gave us a lot of storage space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can sign your name to your 'anonymous' comment if you want me to know who you are.